[Commotion-dev] iOS gets real ad-hoc communications

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Sun Mar 23 22:28:27 UTC 2014

On 3/23/14, 10:13 PM, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  From a serval perspective, we don't need a true IP mesh, as we can use
> any underlying transport on which to run our overlay.  So for us it is
> potentially a big step forward.
>
> Paul.
>

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Nathan of Guardian
> <nathan at guardianproject.info <mailto:nathan at guardianproject.info>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/23/2014 08:07 PM, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
>      >
>     http://www.cultofmac.com/271225/appreciated-ios-7-feature-will-change-world/
>      >
>      > This is very significant.  I have poked my contact in the Android
>     team at
>      > Google to see if they have any comment, as Apple is now well ahead of
>      > Android in terms of this functionality.
>
>     Isn't that article a bit over stating what the Multipeer Connectivity
>     framework provides? Isn't the framework more like a super-bonjour, then
>     a full-fledged IP mesh?
>
>     Based on what I am reading here:
>     https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/MultipeerConnectivity/Reference/MultipeerConnectivityFramework/Introduction/Introduction.html
>
>     it seems that way.
>
>     The only that seems new to me is that you can use it over Bluetooth
>     without specifically having to pair... is it also somehow automatically
>     using adhoc wifi?

I agree with your reading, Nathan. That is not to say it isn't an
important step forward, but I think that they're just augmenting their
Bonjour-type service
(https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Networking/Conceptual/NSNetServiceProgGuide/Introduction.html)
and/or GameKit peer-to-peer service
(https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/GameKit/Reference/GameKit_Collection/_index.html)
rather than offering something completely different.

Will