[Commotion-dev] Commotion mentioned in Mashable article @ Hong Kong

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Tue Sep 30 09:42:51 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 08:27 AM, Dan Staples wrote:
> http://mashable.com/2014/09/29/hong-kong-cell-network-chat/
>
> Although it's nice to see a mention in the media, it worries me that the
> Commotion Android app is featured since our Android app isn't even
> compatible with our latest router firmware and only works on a few
> (rooted) handsets.

For what its worth, in my chat with the reporter, I discussed the whole
system, and how routers could be setup etc. He chose to focus on the
mobile angle, I suppose, because it fit better in the theme of the
article.

I wonder if it's worth de-emphasizing the Android app
> as well as our desktop client(s) in the language on the website
> (especially in our tagline "Commotion is an open-source communication
> tool that uses mobile phones, computers, and other wireless devices to
> create decentralized mesh networks"). I think it would be better for us
> to speak about Commotion as primarily a router firmware, so people
> unfamiliar with the project don't get the wrong idea.

While I understand this frame of thought, it is totally depressing that
the state of the desktop and mobile clients isn't better.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info