[Commotion-dev] Issues with Picostation with both 1.1 and 1.2rc

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Apr 13 09:56:56 EDT 2015

The configuration of the Pico images should be identical to the Rocket images (they are produced in the same compilation). I'm guessing you're running into an issue that a lot of folks have, which is due to an often confusing feature.

When the node boots up, it attempts to get a DHCP lease for its primary ethernet interface. If it does, the ethernet interface is put into the WAN zone and configures itself as a gateway. If it doesn't, it puts itself in the same bridge as the access point, and the bridge assigns itself a 10.x.x.x IP address. To change from one mode to the other, however, requires rebooting the node. So try rebooting the Rocket and see if that changes things.

As for rebooting every few minutes, this is simply a limitation of the Picostation hardware. It has very little RAM and is likely rebooting due to low memory conditions. We actually recommend against using Picostations when you need a device to both mesh and provide an access point. Rockets are a better alternative, as are Nanostations if you want a directional antenna.

I hope this helps, and let us know if the issues persist.

Dan