[Commotion-discuss] Feedback on the proposed information architecture

Seamus Tuohy s2e at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Apr 29 13:32:54 UTC 2013

Hey Emma,

See inline:

On 04/27/2013 03:28 PM, Emma Barker wrote:
> Hi, I am applying for the Gnome OPW internship was advised to provide some
> feedback on the proposed information architecture.  I've been taking a look
> at the current website, and am finding that a lot of pages are incomplete
> or missing information. I was wondering if there is an older website where
> that information already exists or if it will be created along with the new
> website.

The code.commotionwireless.net site hosts a wiki where much information
exists. Other than that, we are just starting to build up an information
architecture that reflects the software where it is now. Before we were
mostly a custom openWRT build. Whereas, we are now actually a more
complex and multi-platform project.

> I am also feeling unsure what the core purpose of the website is -
> whether it is to inform people of commotion wireless' mission, to encourage
> developers to work on the project, or if it is meant to direct users on the
> installation and use of OpenWRT.

The website is two fold, though not the best at either right now. It's
first goal is to inform new users on what Commotion is, and to provide
the tools to get them using it. The second purpose is to provide a easy
way for new developers to see how they can help with the project.

> For the less tech-savvy user, it might be
> helpful to have a quick link on the homepage to setup instructions so that
> they don't get overwhelmed with information they don't understand.

I like that idea, that is what the "get started" bubbles on the front
page were supposed to be.

s2e