[Commotion-discuss] Examples of node naming conventions/systems

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Aug 27 17:09:32 UTC 2013

Sorry, I have to briefly comment my own mail again (password policies).

> (...)
>
> Concerning Password creating schemas: https://xkcd.com/936/
> (and might want to add some characters inbetween the spaces).
> Do *not* use anything less than 12 characters. Seriously.
> That video from Defcon 2011 pretty much nailed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFU-BS4ZZMw

Today I got updated myself on this topic (thx Ars Technica): http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/thereisnofatebutwhatwemake-turbo-charged-cracking-comes-to-long-passwords/

Kind of sucks when you tell people to use really long passwords based on dictionary words. They might really just use a quote from their favorite book (H.P. Lovecraft or bible, each to one's liking) and end up with in fact weak passwords.

So, I still stand by my "and add some (random) characters between the spaces of words" but better to use something stronger.

GPU cracking is making is just too easy...
Just imagine what a botnet of GPUs can do.

Sorry, had to correct my previous post.
a.