[Commotion-discuss] Examples of node naming conventions/systems

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Aug 27 08:17:59 UTC 2013

On Aug 26, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Darby Hickey <darbyhickey at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We are working on our "Commotion Construction Kit" materials to help people set up their own networks. I am currently looking for some examples of node naming conventions/systems so that a new person to wireless networking can easily get the idea. Also maybe examples of password creating conventions/systems, both for Admin and for APs.

Over here, we often abbreviate street names (== the location of the node) and add the housenumber.
So for example, 57 Georgia Ave NW would become: 57gavNW
That's easy enough for people to construct the name in their heads but "crypto" enough so that other people do not automatically know what it means. We also sometimes use node names as ESSIDs and as fully qualified hostnames in DNS.

Not saying this is the best approach, but it works. People remember the domain names of nodes.

Concerning Password creating schemas: https://xkcd.com/936/
(and might want to add some characters inbetween the spaces).
Do *not* use anything less than 12 characters. Seriously.
That video from Defcon 2011 pretty much nailed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFU-BS4ZZMw

> If anyone has anything they'd be willing to share, that would be great! Credit given of course, and we would change any identifying information that shouldn't be shared out.

Hope that it was helpful,
a.