[Commotion-discuss] Commotion meshing between DR1(Red Hook) and PR2, web speed vs. ping speed

Preston Rhea prestonrhea at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Jul 25 15:26:02 UTC 2013

Yesterday evening I updated the software on a node in Mount Pleasant
to DR1 (specifically the Red Hook build), the first update past PR3 in
Mount Pleasant.

The node I updated is a gateway node (connected to a Sprint Clearwire
modem), and it meshes with a node on a community center down the
street which runs PR2 (!)

After updating everything, I checked some speeds. The web speed test
connected to the gateway node only gave about 1.3 Mbps down, but it
functioned fine. I then SSHed in to the gateway node and ran a ping
test from it - average of 116 ms to ping out to 8.8.8.8.

>From there I SSH'ed through the mesh to the node on top of the
community center and pinged 8.8.8.8 from it. It got an average of
about 135 ms out. The average ETX between the two was 1.3.

But when we went down to the community center and associated with its
node, the splash page took forever to resolve. After clicking through
it, no web page would finish resolving. I could ping out to 8.8.8.8
from my laptop while associated, but it varied wildly between 1 s and
90 ms.

My thought is that it is just old buggy software that needs to be
updated - I just wanted to share in case folks thought there might be
something else going on.

--
Preston Rhea
Field Analyst, Open Technology Institute