[Commotion-discuss] Commotion meshing between DR1(Red Hook) and PR2, web speed vs. ping speed

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Jul 25 15:59:26 UTC 2013

How do you test web speed?

Do you use a 3rd-party service like speedtest.net?  If so, you may need to
first check that your ISP's connection to speedtest.net itself isn't having
speed issues.

Likewise, you can try multiple 3rd-party speedtest sites, e.g.
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Preston Rhea <
prestonrhea at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> Yesterday evening I updated the software on a node in Mount Pleasant
> to DR1 (specifically the Red Hook build), the first update past PR3 in
> Mount Pleasant.
>
> The node I updated is a gateway node (connected to a Sprint Clearwire
> modem), and it meshes with a node on a community center down the
> street which runs PR2 (!)
>
> After updating everything, I checked some speeds. The web speed test
> connected to the gateway node only gave about 1.3 Mbps down, but it
> functioned fine. I then SSHed in to the gateway node and ran a ping
> test from it - average of 116 ms to ping out to 8.8.8.8.
>
> From there I SSH'ed through the mesh to the node on top of the
> community center and pinged 8.8.8.8 from it. It got an average of
> about 135 ms out. The average ETX between the two was 1.3.
>
> But when we went down to the community center and associated with its
> node, the splash page took forever to resolve. After clicking through
> it, no web page would finish resolving. I could ping out to 8.8.8.8
> from my laptop while associated, but it varied wildly between 1 s and
> 90 ms.
>
> My thought is that it is just old buggy software that needs to be
> updated - I just wanted to share in case folks thought there might be
> something else going on.
>
> --
> Preston Rhea
> Field Analyst, Open Technology Institute
> New America Foundation
> +1-202-570-9770
> Twitter: @prestonrhea

Ben West