[Commotion-discuss] Consideration for solar-powered urban mesh offering Commotion, Tidepools, Internet access

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Sat Jun 1 23:04:59 UTC 2013

Hi Charles,

My thoughts about the use of smart phones and tablets come from observation
(1<http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/After-Sandy-N-Y-recovering-but-slowly-3998882.php>,
2<http://www.northjersey.com/weather/After_Sandy_Things_improving_but_life_wont_be_back_to_normal_for_awhile.html>,
3<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-30/sandy-knocks-out-cable-phone-service-to-1-million-in-new-york.html>)
of recent instances here in the US where a weather-related event caused
widespread power outages, and indeed queues formed at locations that still
had electrical power, of people wanting to recharge handhelds.

Phones and tablets usually have several hours of battery life, far better
than laptops.  Also, in extreme situations where the cell towers are all
out too, one could assume folks would only use their handheld while
connected to wifi, further reducing the power consumption.

As for a community charging station, my friend Dann Green (former St. Louis
resident / all-around geek) built this one recently.  This, however, is
definitely an order of magnitude above what I was considering for the solar
rooftop mesh nodes, which is namely just one or two mini-USB ports supplied
with 5V from the battery.
http://blog.makezine.com/2010/04/29/mfba-solarpump-electric-charging-st/

--
Ben West