[Commotion-discuss] Material for a workshop on mesh networks

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 10:27:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Is there any good source of materials to run a workshop about DIY mesh
networks? Software to use, slides to show about the theory of
operation?

I've been approached by guys from Moscow "Strelka" institute [1] about
running a workshop about DIY WiFi mesh networks and I'm looking for a
way to make it happen. Guys are engaged into volunteer crisis response
activities and a general DIY.

1. http://www.strelka.com/?lang=en

I'm trying to find people in Moscow who have real life experience with
WiFi mesh networks, especially DIY ones, but without much result so
far. Unfortunately, mesh networks are not so popular in Russia (yet).
And since I have only theoretical understanding of concepts and no
real experience, I'm looking for an easy way to (1) have something up
and running and (2) find some presentation materials about various
WiFi mesh projects, technology itself, etc.

Hardware wise we have old Fon devices, I should have two MeshPotatos
somewhere and we might be able to get some Ubiquiti gear from a
friendly company. I'm also thinking about simply installing olsrd or
batmand on few laptops as an easy way to get something up and running.

All recommendations and pointers are very appreciated.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.