[Commotion-discuss] Interesting discussion on WISPA listserv about the cable ISP hotspots

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Nov 15 23:01:05 UTC 2013

Unfortunately, those actors most empowered to ensure optimal spectrum use
in this discussion, namely regulatory agencies like the FCC, cable
operators, and the chipset manufacturers, are also probably going to be the
least responsive to community-based concerns.  This will place burden on
small scale WISPs, community meshes, and other groups dependent on
unlicensed spectrum for their backhaul, to be especially attentive to their
antenna gain and local noise floor, i.e. to better cut through the noise.

Short of any options for lodging complaints with the FCC, should certain
cable operators prove to be especially disruptive in their deployment of
hotspots, one possibility may be to seek partnership with organizations
like WISPA in bending the ear of regulators.  WISPA's membership dues
mostly go toward to hiring a lobbyist or two, for precisely these scenarios.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Benjamin Chodoroff <ben at theworkdept.com>wrote:

> On Fri 15 Nov 2013 01:26:02 PM EST, Joshua Breitbart wrote:
> > No, not federal, obviously. I'm thinking more like using design
> > standards or noise pollution. Has anyone got creative there?
>
> See http://banc.nextweb.net/ for one example of a wireless spectrum
> network coordination working group... i think there are other similar
> ones.
>
> -b&

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net