[Commotion-discuss] DR2 Node Disconnecting Issue

Daniel Hastings dhastings at abaarsotech.org
Wed Oct 2 08:49:56 UTC 2013

Howdy Commotion Community,

I hope those of you in Berlin are all having a good time at IS4CWN. Wish I
could join you.  Before I got into detail about my issue, I want to say we
have 4 nodes meshed now and have a very strong Student Network thanks to
Commotion. See image below:

[image: Inline image 1]

The screens shot is taken from the Computer-Lab node which also acts as a
gateway. Even though not labeled the central-tower acts as a gateway as
well.

As for my main concern, I’m having problems my Computer-Lab node. I do not
think I experienced these problems until I upgraded to DR2. The
computer-lab is configured to mesh through Ethernet but also has meshed
with the outdoor node training-center.

During the last few days during class while students were using the network
I tried to download a file from the ftp server.  Download speeds where very
high but halfway through during the download the computer-lab node
disconnected every students computer and mine from the computer-lab.  About
20 seconds later we were able to re-connect to the computer-lab again.  The
same thing also happened when I tried downloading a file from the internet
as well at another separate time.

Also, this morning when I tried to connect to the internet in the computer
lab I did not receive the splash screen or connect to the net even though
once I logged into the router could see that I was successfully meshed and
could ping the default gateway from the router without an issue.

The same problem happened two days ago with my central-tower node.

The router that the central-tower and computer-lab are connected to that
acts as a gateway is using DD-WRT, would this cause any issues?  Also the
computer lab and the training center nodes and girls-dorms nodes are all on
the same subnet of 101.108.214.1/24 This shouldn't cause a problem should
it? If it does how can I change AP's network?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dan
--
*Dan Hastings*
*Abaarso School Computer Science Department*
dhastings at abaarsotech.org