[Commotion-discuss] Pico's dropping signals in DR2

Daniel Hastings dhastings at abaarsotech.org
Thu Oct 3 10:15:24 UTC 2013

Howdy Commotion Community,

I’ve been having problems with one of my nodes labeled Computer-Lab. I do
not think I experienced these problems until I upgraded to DR2. The
computer-lab is configured to mesh through Ethernet but also has meshed
with the outdoor node training-center.

During the last few days during class while students were using the network
I tried to download a file from the FP server.  Download speeds where very
high but halfway through during the download the computer-lab node
disconnected every students computer and lost the signal from the
computer-lab.  About 20 seconds later we were able to re-connect to the
computer-lab again.  The same thing also happened when I tried downloading
a file from the internet as well at another separate time.  I've also heard
from students that they have experienced the same problem with some of the
other nodes where all of the signal suddenly dropped and then returned 30
seconds later.

Also, this morning when I tried to connect to the Internet in the computer
lab I did not receive the splash screen or connect to the net even though
once I logged into the router could see that I was successfully meshed and
could ping the default gateway from the router without an issue.

The same problem happened two days ago with my central-tower node.

I know that near one of the nodes we have a cable TV coming into the school
via an antennae which may operate on a similar frequency because the
students cannot watch TV when the node that is closest to the antenna is
plugged in.  However, the antenna for the TV is not always plugged in so
when I had the other issues with the signal dropping during the day the TV
definitely did not have power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

--
*Dan Hastings*
*Abaarso School Computer Science Department*
dhastings at abaarsotech.org