[Commotion-discuss] Mesh Networks vs Spoke Hub-Spoke Networks in Developing Countries

Daniel Hastings dhastings at abaarsotech.org
Mon Oct 21 19:19:29 UTC 2013

Just stumbeled across this on the Open ITP Blog:
https://openitp.org/mesh-networks/trevor-ellermann-on-mesh-networks.html

I am curious to know the argument some of you pro-mesh people out there
might have against Trevor's argument of Mesh networks are not the most
suitable network infrastructure for the developing world.

He seems to think that mesh is good in places where it can be constantly
maintained.  I would argue that in our situation since we are not a large
network (4-6 nodes) maintenance is not as much of an issue.

However, I can certainly understand his argument .  We do have one node
that is not the easiest to reach (in a guard tower which means a lot of
climbing and trying not wake sleeping guards) but for remote regions with
many different nodes in a variety of locations troubleshooting may be a
problem.

He also mentions the issue of power.  I've always wanted to play with the
idea of solar powering a pico station. Has anyone seen this been done
before? We have plenty of sun in Africa and far too many unreliable
generators.

I am really intrigued to hear opinions about this argument especially of
those who have worked with both types of networks or certainly have more
knowledge on the subject.

Dan

--
*Dan Hastings*
*Abaarso School Computer Science Department*
dhastings at abaarsotech.org