[Commotion-discuss] Has anyone implemented serverless messaging over a mesh?

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Oct 30 13:13:57 UTC 2013

It depends on how you want to access it, I suppose. If not every node is
running the GIS & CRM servers, then anycast could theoretically work
well, as long as the servers again are in sync. Personally, I don't have
any experience using anycast for fallback support.

What I designed MediaGrid to do was to have each instance advertise
itself on the mesh using multicast DNS. That way, each node collects a
list of all the other nodes running MediaGrid, and starts bi-directional
synchronization with each of them. CouchDB makes this synchronization
super easy and hands off, which is why I use it for the back end. Here's
a script that does the automatic peer discovery and synchronization, in
case it's helpful for your GIS & CRM server idea:
https://github.com/danstaples/MediaGrid/blob/master/resources/mediagrid-discover

Dan