[Commotion-discuss] [OTI-Tech] Fwd: Re: Has anyone implemented serverless messaging over a mesh?

Georgia Bullen georgia at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Oct 30 15:56:11 UTC 2013

Not sure how we ended up not on commotion-discuss, but re-sending...

I imagine you could also just host all of the GIS and CRM files in couchDB
as well, potentially in the form of a couchapp (
http://couchapp.org/page/index) and work with Leaflet as the front end for
the map.

We were thinking about this idea for Tidepools (tidepools.co), which is
currently uses MongoDB, but could be restructured to work on top of couchDB.

Also re:GIS... Vector maps are much smaller and easier to store, so you
might opt for Vector over raster map data if you are working on the RPi.

-Georgia

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Will Hawkins <
hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> On 10/30/2013 09:52 AM, Ryan Gerety wrote:
> > This was also something Will, Andy and I puzzled over recently--we didnt
> > have an easy way to communicate over the mesh without running something
> > on a laptop.
> >
> > We tried LinPhone, which could probably work with the proper
> > configuration, but we couldnt get it configured properly in a short
> > amount of time.
>
> We were able to make a call. I mean that: call. Not calls. As Ryan said,
> our success was probably limited by the amount of time we had to spend
> on this.
>
> For posterity, if anyone uses LinPhone, make sure to turn of random port
> assignments through the configuration UI. Without this turned off, the
> SIP stack on the device chooses a random port each time it starts and
> means that calling another user is unecessarily complex.
>
> Will
>

> > We know that Serval hasnt really worked for quick chatting in the
> > past--as there is too much delay.
> >
> > When Will, Andy and I were together we did look at Kouchat but didnt try
> > it out (or maybe we did, I dont recall for sure).  Anyone had experience
> > with that?
> >
> > Running MediaGrid was fantastic, but it would be great to think about a
> > phone only solution...

Georgia Bullen
Field Operations Technologist, Open Technology
Institute<http://oti.newamerica.net/>
New America Foundation