[Commotion-discuss] Mesh Networking Teaching Curriculum

Andy Gunn andygunn at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Sep 5 18:09:40 UTC 2013

That's pretty cool Evan - do you have any more documentation or
information on how the installation and setup the DeweyNet went with the
students? It sounds really great!

Dan and everyone - OTI will be releasing some of our "Commotion
Construction Kit" modules very soon. It will have a lot of information
and guides on how to plan and build networks, and will be expanding as
time goes on.

As soon as the guides are ready, we will be sure to send an announcement
to this list.

On 09/02/2013 03:44 PM, evanhutch at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Dan-
>
> I did just the same thing last Spring where I work, the John Dewey
> Academy in Mass.  I wrote an initial blog post about it here:
> www.zapatalab.com <http://www.zapatalab.com>
>
> My students are in the 16 - 19 y.o. range.  I am the social sciences
> teacher, but I was  political organizer for years and had some expertise
> with MySQL and basic web design (setting up LAMP platforms, Drupal,
> Wordpress, etc).  In spite of my relative lack of tech experience, I
> have been able to lead the students and they have largely taught
> themselves.  Some students have more expertise than others, and that has
> been a big help, but overall I think the project can be replicated just
> about anywhere.
>
> So far we have built and a maintained a school-wide mesh network using
> TP Link routers and B.A.T.M.A.N. protocol, we call it DeweyNet-  it
> serves as an intranet.  We also created a Linux server with a document
> cloud (OwnCloud), phpbb (bulletin board), Red Mine (project management),
> and a wiki.  It’s been up and running for about 5 months now.
>
> Right now we are beta testing Raspberry PI-based routers, access points
> and servers for a completely off-the-grid system.  I am developing a
> game based on a zombie apocalypse scenario that will teach folks to put
> up emergency communications systems   I will post more of the
> documentation for you on the blog.
>
> We’ve managed to do all of this so far with +/- $800.
>
> Best regards-
> Evan
>

> Sent from Windows Mail

Andy Gunn, Field Engineer
Open Technology Institute, New America Foundation
andygunn at opentechinstitute.org | 202-596-3484