[Commotion-discuss] Mesh Networking Teaching Curriculum

evanhutch at gmail.com evanhutch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 19:44:46 UTC 2013

Hi Dan-

I did just the same thing last Spring where I work, the John Dewey Academy in Mass.  I wrote an initial blog post about it here:  www.zapatalab.com

My students are in the 16 - 19 y.o. range.  I am the social sciences teacher, but I was  political organizer for years and had some expertise with MySQL and basic web design (setting up LAMP platforms, Drupal, Wordpress, etc).  In spite of my relative lack of tech experience, I have been able to lead the students and they have largely taught themselves.  Some students have more expertise than others, and that has been a big help, but overall I think the project can be replicated just about anywhere.

So far we have built and a maintained a school-wide mesh network using TP Link routers and B.A.T.M.A.N. protocol, we call it DeweyNet-  it serves as an intranet.  We also created a Linux server with a document cloud (OwnCloud), phpbb (bulletin board), Red Mine (project management), and a wiki.  It’s been up and running for about 5 months now.

Right now we are beta testing Raspberry PI-based routers, access points and servers for a completely off-the-grid system.  I am developing a game based on a zombie apocalypse scenario that will teach folks to put up emergency communications systems   I will post more of the documentation for you on the blog.

We’ve managed to do all of this so far with +/- $800.

Best regards-

Evan

Sent from Windows Mail