[Commotion-discuss] A Business Model for Neighborhood Wireless

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Apr 1 10:51:47 UTC 2014

HI Matt,

As an operator of a small, mesh-based micro-WISP in St. Louis which
supports itself (barely) using a Freemium model, thank you for sharing
this.  Off-hand, I can offer these comments.

- The biggest factor to establishing a WISP, clearly, would be who is your
upstream ISP.  It's fair to assume cable and DSL providers won't sell to
you, leaving fiber.  Depending on the availability of lower cost aerial
fiber (it's not available in St. Louis, for example), your uplink may
likely cost single-digit $1000's per month.  Cheaper, i.e. below $2000/mo,
can be done if you have a relationship with a nearby data house who is
willing let you mount something like UBNT AirFiber on their roof
inexpensively for your backhaul.  But don't see surprised by expectations
of ~$1000/mo roof rights.

- The figures for subscriber equipment (i.e. the CPE) and installation
labor are spot on.  I'd recommend adding whatever fractional of the ISP
cost for each subscriber to better gauge the business' sustainability.
E.g. $2000/mo uplink cost spread across 100 subscribers = $20/mo raw ISP
cost per subscriber.

- I would also recommend adding a line item to your spreadsheet for some
3rd party portal / payment handling service like
GateSpot<http://store.wisp-router.com/GateSpot>,
e.g. invoice generation, credit card processing, etc.  It is possible to
run your own portal and payment gateway via freeRADIUS / Drupal / Ubercart
/ Paypal / Dwolla / etc, but there's a steep learning curve.

- I'd also recommend making an estimate on subscriber attrition / loyalty.
Not everyone is going to pay their subscription fee, and your small
business' ability to follow-up with each and every person who falls behind
is very finite.  Estimating, for example, 15% non-paying subscribers as
part of normal operation (and scaling expected revenue to cover that gap),
could allow for much more efficient operation.

- Insurance for installed equipment is a good idea, especially if this
business is otherwise unable to roll trucks to repair damage after a large
wind storm.  For example, a previous list member mentioned getting $1M
liability on their rooftop gear for $425 annual premium from this carrier:
http://www.techinsurance.com/default10.aspx

- In an urban environment, using mesh transport over 2.4GHz is just not
going to work reliably beyond the scale of a single block or so.  This is
made ever more frustrating by the proliferation of consumer WiFi routers
that hop channels (especially those distributed by the millions by the
cable company), ensuring there will never be a consistently free channel.
I can confirm this from operating UBNT Nano M2s that have difficulty
maintaining adequate signal just down a single neighborhood block, despite
both units being shielded with RF Armor.  Also, there isn't really a good
solution yet for meshes to channel hop reliably, although someone will be
making a presentation about draft implementation at this year's Battlemesh.

- Pretty much all WISPs, along with some of the larger mesh network
operators on this list (myself included), thus use 5.8GHz for backhaul over
distances greater than a block.  However, this band is also getting much
much noisier, and I'm expecting the noise level that renders the 2.4GHz
band largely unusable for me here in St. Louis to transition over to 5.8GHz
in a couple years.  (Thanks again, in part, to the cable company who is
selling dual-band WiFi routers preprogrammed for full TX power to every new
subscriber.)  Non-meshing WISPs are gradually switching their backhaul
operations over to the DFS bands, which require active radar detection for
legal operation.  That same Battlemesh presentation mentioned above will be
for a draft Open Source implementation for DFS compliance, but to my
knowledge, no FCC-approved option exists yet for running adhoc over DFS
channels.

- Finally, White Space, or TVWS, is clearly an intriguing option for
wider-spaced rural areas (although still very pricey, ~$10k).
Unfortunately, my understanding is that can not handle the typical user
density for urban areas.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net