[Commotion-discuss] Remote site, solar-battery data logger.

Jared Hoy n.tesla3 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 01:23:54 EDT 2014

I'm thinking about setting up some high vantage point routers that are
operated by a solar panel and some small SLA or lithium batteries. I have
been looking around for low cost solar chargers that incorporate "smart
charging" capabilities combined with data logging and network-ability.

Does anyone know of any small, low cost, weatherproof solar chargers that
can charge a single sealed lead acid battery, lithium ion, or similar
battery? Something that also incorporates a small data logging memory that
can be accessed and visualized remotely over a network connection?
Something that is HTML so it can be viewed in a webpage on any platform?
Maybe even email alerts to alert when the system requires maintenance?

Like I said, the routers would be located in difficult to reach and remote
locations and should be stand alone and off the grid. I need a way to keep
an eye on the system without being physically present unless absolutely
necessary. Ideally the only malfunction that should occur would be a
failing battery and would need to be continuously monitored for the
continued safety and security of the community.

I'd like to avoid building my own chargers unless there is no commercially
viable and inexpensive solution.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

thanks,
Jared