[Commotion-discuss] Initial results of installing on unsupported Routerboards

Adam Steele steeleam08 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 22:09:51 EST 2014

I made some small progress tonight. The pair of ethernet (LAN) ports are
eth1 (the WAN port is eth0). Add option ifname 'eth1' to the lan section in
/etc/config/network gets those ports to work. Since Commotion only
configures eth0 (WAN) to be used, the br-lan interface is bound to eth0's
MAC address. You have to wipe out br-lan (brctl delbr) and recreate it
starting with eth1 (and adding wlan1 in my case).
I haven't yet looked at getting the WAN side working at the same time with
LAN but I don't think that will be much work.

I did finally look in to the problem I was having with my 2.4GHz client
radios some how screwing up the 900MHz mesh.
High CPU usage from olsrd was causing poor performance. Eventually olsrd
settles down and the mesh stabilizes but that takes a good 5-10 minutes.
I'm not sure how roaming nodes or a frequently changing topology might stir
up olsrd.
I can't say I'd recommend using the basic 300MHz RB411/433 boards because
of this (they're a pain to flash anyway). They will work in a pinch or in a
very static mesh but I'd recommend going for the 680MHz AH models.

-Adam