[Commotion-discuss] Atheros-based pocket router w/ 8MB flash

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Sep 19 10:34:22 EDT 2014

Hi Foti,

My primary use for inexpensive TP-Link products as indoor mesh nodes is as
quick-n-easy repeaters from a existing outdoor node (i.e. one built from
UBNT hardware).

For example, I may have a Nanostation M2 on the rooftop of one building,
and then get a call from someone across the street (or even somewhat down
the street) wanting their own repeater.  Setting up another rooftop node so
close can actually be suboptimal, making the indoor, lower-power node like
a MR3420 (or whatever other mini access point) a more ideal solution.

Indeed, if you are able to support the slightly increased cost of devices
with 8MBytes of flash, that would be the best route.  My approach of
minifying firmware to fit within 4Mbytes is definitely awkward.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 5:41 AM, fotis k. <fotis.k at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for chiming in guys,
>
> Dan, no particular model in mind, just thought to start testing against
> the ath-based ones that meet the min. requirements. The one you've found
> looks small and caught my eye. Based on your experience, is the ubiquity
> standard of 8MB Flash / 32MB RAM enough for the external nodes?
>
> Ben, thought so but I’m thinking of starting small @home (get a commotion
> testbed running indoors on a couple of routers, a couple of macs and a pc,
> and see how it works before I take it to the neighbourhood).
>
> I wouldn’t go for anything else other than outdoor-spec (nano/bullet) for
> the external nodes, what bears some more research is the selection of the
> internal nodes to extend the mesh inside the building(s).
>

> -Foti

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net