[Commotion-discuss] User tracking gateway

Aidan Roberts aidanr67 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:07:24 EST 2015

Hi guys,

This isn't strictly on topic but it is for a Commotion network we have
up and running in South Africa.

We would like to allow users who host a node at their house to be able
to offer Internet connectivity through that node at a price to other
community members. We have a broad design for the system so far but it
relies on tracking data for users based (most likely) on IP addresses.

There are many routers/gateways out there that can do this for us but
what we'll need is a router/gateway that will track usage and provide it
(perhaps via SNMP) so that we can put together a simple web interface
that users can use to track their "clients" usage.

The problem is that I don't have much experience using these
routers/gateways. I'm looking for a reasonably priced one if possible
since we'll probably deploy quite a few. I'm hoping (and pretty sure)
that someone on here has a better idea than I do. Mikrotik and Ubiquiti
are widely available here. Name/model number of a suitable router would
be an excellent start.

Regards,
Aidan Roberts
aidanr67 at gmail.com