[Commotion-discuss] Router brand/model suggestions?

Jared Hoy n.tesla3 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 23:19:43 EDT 2015

I've been interested in Commotion and meshing for a while, but until now
haven't really had time to pursue it. Recently I've been discussing it with
fellow students and teachers at my school and it seems many are interested
in putting up some nodes. Also sounds like my school may be interested in
hosting some nodes on top of the campuses as well.

I told them I'd like to get 3 or 4 routers on my own so we can experiment
before promoting it formally. That being the case, I need to determine the
best brand and model. I see Ubiquity, Mikrotik, and TP-Link brands listed
on commotion along with the many models. I was leaning toward the Ubiquiti
Rocket M2 as it seems to be quite reliable and I like having the two
external coax connections.

Is the Rocket my best option at this time? I'd like something that offers
reliability and has external antenna connections (hopefully more than one)
while still being relatively inexpensive. I'd rather spend a little more to
get something that offers expandability in the future though.

Most people don't want to contribute unless they see what it offers and how
it works, so I figure I'll purchase the first batch to kick things off.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on the other brands and models?

Thanks,
Jared