[Commotion-discuss] Router brand/model suggestions?

Andy Gunn andygunn at opentechinstitute.org
Wed May 27 11:39:51 EDT 2015

Hi Jared - I'm hoping a lot of people chime in on this one, as there
are lots of possibilities!

Are you planning an indoor network, an outdoor (building-to-building)
network, or both?

Are you planning on building your own antennas, or purchasing pre-made
antennas?

What will the network be used for?

On 05/26/2015 11:19 PM, Jared Hoy wrote:
> I've been interested in Commotion and meshing for a while, but
> until now haven't really had time to pursue it. Recently I've been
> discussing it with fellow students and teachers at my school and it
> seems many are interested in putting up some nodes. Also sounds
> like my school may be interested in hosting some nodes on top of
> the campuses as well.
>
> I told them I'd like to get 3 or 4 routers on my own so we can
> experiment before promoting it formally. That being the case, I
> need to determine the best brand and model. I see Ubiquity,
> Mikrotik, and TP-Link brands listed on commotion along with the
> many models. I was leaning toward the Ubiquiti Rocket M2 as it
> seems to be quite reliable and I like having the two external coax
> connections.
>
> Is the Rocket my best option at this time? I'd like something that
> offers reliability and has external antenna connections (hopefully
> more than one) while still being relatively inexpensive. I'd rather
> spend a little more to get something that offers expandability in
> the future though.
>
> Most people don't want to contribute unless they see what it offers
> and how it works, so I figure I'll purchase the first batch to kick
> things off.
>
> Any suggestions? Any thoughts on the other brands and models?
>
> Thanks, Jared

- --
Andy Gunn, Field Engineer
Open Technology Institute, New America
andygunn at opentechinstitute.org | 202-596-3484
PGP: F1D2 CD5E 9F15 EEB0 232A 1EFA EEDC DC5C F1D5 653C