[Commotion-discuss] Router brand/model suggestions?

Jared Hoy n.tesla3 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 21:55:10 EDT 2015

Thanks for the reply Andy.
Good questions!

The intent was an outdoor network with point to point and omni directional
or multi directional down tilt antennas. Though I suppose indoor
expandability would be a future consideration. So the focus would be
outdoor at this time, with indoor later on.

I would like to have the option of buying antennas or experimenting with my
own. For point to point it seems easier, cheaper, and better to just
purchase a small dish. I would like to use an omni or patch on one
connector with a dish on the other (any thoughts?)

The initial intent of the network will be multipurpose, but my thoughts are
this:

   - redundant point to point connection between campus locations.

   - Wireless community backup communications network for emergency
   situations, community based information for a decentralized internet style
   network. Similar to the Red Hook project and others.

   - Other than that, it would serve as an experimental platform for
   leaning and local communication for those who are in range and wish to
   cooperate.

I understand the basic limitations of wireless communications such as
channel capacity and interference, but I would really like to see this
system implemented on a large scale.   If only we had larger frequency
bands to work with. I would really like to see a community supported mesh
with backhauls which approach the scale of the cellular network. Maybe
that's going way to far, but that's my dream! I really like the idea of the
ubiquiti air fiber for long distance backhauls. Gotta start somewhere.

Thanks,
Jared