[Commotion-discuss] Splash page and mesh node profiles

Andy Gunn andygunn at opentechinstitute.org
Fri May 29 13:07:38 EDT 2015

Hi Mikhail - a few follow-up questions on this, to make sure I am on
the same page!

On 05/28/2015 05:45 AM, falanster.by wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have two questions. May be have any ideas about these...
>
> 1. Do you know how to load the splash page (internet access icon
> plus services) of each access point or does it exist some simple
> URL such as http://thishode/ or similar ?

The splash page of each router is a re-direction that happens when you
try and load a web page. The link will be different each time. In 1.1
the splash page (captive portal) will only work if there is an
Internet connection. In 1.2 it should work without an Internet connectio
n.

The captive portal will activate for any client that is connected in
the "LAN" zone. This includes any Access Points on the device, or on
the Ethernet port, if that device is handing out IP addresses with
DHCP on the Ethernet port.

Are there external (non-Commotion) Access Points connected to the
Ethernet ports of the Commotion routers? If this is the case, the
first person to connect to the Access Point will get the splash page.
When they "click through", all users on the access point will be able
to access the Internet for the time period set in the captive portal
settings (one hour by default).

If you have a small server or computer connected directly to the LAN
ports of a Commotion router, and those computers need to "get out" to
the Internet, they will need to be "whitelisted" so they aren't
captured by the splash page.

To do this, in the Administration portal, go to:
Advanced -> Services -> Captive portal

Check the box under "Whitelist", then enter the MAC address for the
computer you don't want to be captured. You can add multiple MAC
addresses with the little "+" button.

> 2. Now I try to test network from 3 mesh nodes. For each node I
> use one access point. Each access point are closely AP (3-4 meters)
> and connected with ethernet wires. I would like to exclude extra
> meshivization by AP routers in parrallel with mesh nodes. Do I
> need to delete all node profiles in commotion firmware for AP
> routers?

I'm not sure what you are asking here - is Commotion installed on the
Access Points, or are they installed with the original manufacturer's
firmware, say TP-Link?

If they have Commotion on them, are you trying to disable the wireless
mesh functonality? If so, you can go to:
Advanced -> Network -> Interfaces

Then click the "edit" button next to the mesh interface - it will have
whatever name you gave it during setup. On the next page, click
"Advanced Settings", then uncheck "Bring up on boot".

You can return to the Interfaces menu and hit "stop" by the mesh
interface at this point. It should disconnect this router from the
mesh. When the router reboots, it will not connect to the mesh.

(If you want to re-enable the mesh connection, just reverse this process
)

You can then set up meshing over Ethernet to connect to the Commotion
node it is wired to, if you wish.

> Thanks, Mikhail

Hopefully I was able to answer your questions! Let me know if I didn't
understand your questions correctly.

Take care,
- -Andy

- --
Andy Gunn, Field Engineer
Open Technology Institute, New America
andygunn at opentechinstitute.org | 202-596-3484
PGP: F1D2 CD5E 9F15 EEB0 232A 1EFA EEDC DC5C F1D5 653C