[Commotion-discuss] Is There A Meshnet Around Reston, Virginia?

Nat Meysenburg nat at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Feb 8 14:35:44 EST 2016

Hi Casey,

As far as I know, there is not an existing network in Reston. However,
we do not keep active lists of where networks pop up.

More answers inline below:

Casey White <jcaseywhite at gmail.com> writes:
> 1) I understand that commotion wireless is about trying to create a Mesh
> with the community you live, but is there a way to find other commotion
> wireless communities close to where I live in order to combine mesh
> networks, or join an existing mesh?

Commotion is designed to let you mesh with other networks that your
network can see. Depending on configurations though, there may need to
be some out of band communication with the maintainers of that network,
so that they can give you the right settings.

Depending on the extent to which another network might have customized
their setup, by default Commotion networks should be visible (if they
are within range of your device).

> 2) I understand commotion wireless orginally was not encrypted; However,
> there are rumors going around that one could use Cjdns with commotion
> wireless. If true, that Would be preferable because Would like end to end
> encryption.

Originally it was not encrypted. However, that has not been true for
some time. Commotion supports WPA2 encryption between clients and
nodes.

I'll leave other folks to chime in more.

~~Nat

--
Nat Meysenburg
Technologist | Open Technology Institute @ New America