[Commotion-discuss] Accessing resources across the network

Nat Meysenburg nat at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Feb 16 10:04:44 EST 2016

john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> writes:

> For some reason I was thinking the IP address was leased from the router
> and not fixed.

The client address is assigned from the router.

However, by default, the way the IP addressing is set up in Commotion,
the nodes get IPs for the mesh in the 100.64.0.0/10 range (which
according to the specs is reserved for carrier grade NAT). The nodes hand
out DHCP addresses to clients in the 10.x.x.x (standard private network)
range. I don't recall the actual default subnets offhand.

Anyway, if I remember correctly (and it is indeed possible that I have
this all wrong), the range in which a node hands out DHCP leases is
based off of its 100.64.x address.

The end result *should* be (again if I'm not totally mis-remembering),
that client devices have addresses that that should be routable to each
other, and the nodes should be able to handle the routing.

So for example, node A is handing out leases in 10.64.8.x, and node B is
handing them out in 10.64.7.x; client A is on node A with an IP of
10.64.8.14, and client B is on node B with an IP  of 10.64.7.151. They
should be able to ping each other.

Someone please correct me if I'm way off base here.

~~Nat

--
Nat Meysenburg
Technologist | Open Technology Institute @ New America