[Commotion-discuss] Accessing resources across the network

Josh King jking at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Feb 16 10:34:09 EST 2016

Hi Nat,

You're right, but the ranges are a little off. It would be more
accurate to say that the nodes generate all of their addresses from the
same base, which is a hash of the mac address. So a node that has a
mesh address of 100.64.47.9 might give out addresses in the 10.47.9.X
range (it would necessarily be that clear because 100.64.0.0 is a /10
network, but you get the idea).

This obviously isn't perfect, so a future version of Commotion will
generate IPv6 addresses generated from a hash of their crypto key, with
collision avoidance, and will NAT any IPv4 networks.