[Commotion-discuss] Send mesh routes to upstream router

Josh King jking at chambana.net
Wed Jul 6 15:23:26 UTC 2016

Hi Christopher,

There are a few different ways you could approach this. I can think of
three right off the bat, but there may be more. They all have their own
advantages and disadvantages:

* You could run BGP or similar on the nodes or on the edge router; they
would share the kernel routing table with OLSR, but as long as it's set
up in such a way that they don't clobber each others' routes it should
be fine. I'm not familiar enough though with setting up BIRD,
Zebra/Quagga, or similar to know exactly how to configure it to pass
along all of the OLSR routes as well.

* You could split it up by subnet and configure the routes statically.
The problem here is that all Commotion nodes self-select their
addresses out of the same private subnet, so you'd need to configure
the nodes to select out of separate subnets manually.

* Since the nodes already run a dynamic routing protocol (OLSR), you
could create a VPN tunnel between the two networks. Then they can
dynamically pass their routing traffic themselves between the two
networks. This would require setting up a VPN tunnel, and could
potentially experience performance issues as the network scales (OLSR
is a chatty protocol to be sending over a narrow VPN pipe).

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you have any thoughts.