[CMI-CM] Congrats & More World Car-Free Day

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 27 19:33:25 CDT 2000

Gosh, I  love search engines....

But first -- Congratulations everyone on the first successful CMI Critical
Mass Ride of the new school year!  We had about 30 people for a nice ride
around the perimeter of campus.  Lots of students seemed happy to see us
and cheered us on with shouts and honks.

If everyone brings at least one friend to the next ride, we'll at least
double in size.

Also, I found a few websites giving more of an explanation on World
Car-Free Day (WCFD).  At Friday's ride we decided to hold an extra ride to
mark this day on Thursday Sept. 21, in addition to the one scheduled for
the last Friday in Sept, the 29th.

WCFD seems to be an Int'l thing, more centered in Europe than North
America, which at least partially appears intended to steal some thunder
from an EU Europe Car Free Day that takes place on the 22nd.  But that
doesn't mean we can't turn it into an event here in C-U.  If you like,
start thinking how we could make it here.

Take a look at these sites yourself:
http://www.carbusters.ecn.cz/WCFD.htm
http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/

Please mark your calendars for our upcoming rides, urge some friends to
join, and spread the word by whatever means YOU think is appropriate.

--Paul