[CMI-CM] winter biking

Cope Cumpston cumpston at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 19 17:09:56 CST 2000

Arun -- sorry to hear about your accident. I've developed a snow strategy in
the four winters I've been biking in this town, which  mostly consists of
figuring out where streets and sidewalks *are* plowed. The University is very
good at this (which may not help you depending on where you have to go).
Florida / Kirby sidewalks are usually plowed clean before the streets are, as
are sidewalks inside campus. When I'm in doubt I walk my bike. It's a pain.

Lack of plowing is more dangerous for pedestrians than for bikers, I think --
people have to walk in the streets (including school kids) -- and as we know,
those drivers out there are crazy. I've had a number of close calls in the last
week because drivers seem to be angry at *me* for crowding *them*.

Maybe IMC will take this on as a worthy story. I'd be up for a winter bikeride
to publicize it (during daylight hours, let's not be suicidal) -- but I doubt
this community will take anything like that seriously. It would be useful to
hear from city govt's what they consider their responsibility re: plowing.

anyway -- for what it's worth, it's a serious issue for the dozen or so of us
who *do* bike through the winter . . .

Cope Cumpston