[CMI-CM] bikes

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 18 22:41:07 CST 2000

Ouch, I hope nothing's too messed up.

I had a bike accident last year, was hit while stopped at a stop sign at
lincoln and illinois.  I got the drivers info, had her agree to pay for the
damage.  Later, when it came time to pay, she had a change of mind and
decided it was my fault (somehow I had snuck in front of her car, since she
now remembers having passed me) and that we should split the cost ($80 for
a new rear wheel).  After much finagling she decided to pay, still
maintaining that it wasn't her fault, but agreeing that she had made an
agreement when she hit me (in front of the guy at the bike shop).

The lesson I take away -- don't be nice like me and assume by getting a
promise and someone's info that you and your bike will be fixed.  It's much
harder to prove damage and fault post hoc, and so it's much less likely to
work out in your favor.  If you get hit and you're sure you were following
the rules, call the cops.  Not only will you have your medical and bike
bills taken care of, but the driver might also get a summons or more.  You
have every right to have the police there, and if the driver leaves, that
can be "leaving the scene of an accident," or "hit and run," both of which
are more than simple traffic offenses.

BTW, even though it's happened and you didn't do anything, you are still
able to file a police report on the accident, if you wish.

--Paul
==