[CMI-CM] How Radical?

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 17 17:34:38 CST 2000

I agree with Molly's points -- CM can certainly be invigorated by making
explicit the connections it has with development, planning and
environmental issues.

After the first or second ride this year there was a sort of "discussion
session" after the ride where we all talked over the things that the folks
there were looking for from the ride.  The reasons varied from very
hard-core political stances to more simple desires to ride with a mass. If
I remember correctly, I think there was a general reluctance to associate
CM with any particular cause or issue.  Now this can lead to stagnancy,
which is where I think we are, where the reluctance to assign a stance to
the whole of the enterprise leads to nobody really being willing to speak
out or bring his/her own ideas and issues to the ride.

However, I think that the lack of a single focus for the ride is important,
but for the purpose of making it a sort of open forum for people to use to
address their concerns that relate to the issues that the Mass ride
naturally confronts, whether or not all riders wish to recognize it
explicitly.  To me that is the strength of the CM idea -- any person or
group of folks can organize around the ride for a whole variety of causes
and issues that relate.  Not everybody has to agree, as long as there is
some degree of tolerance towards each other's ideas.  Certainly, I've seen
that tolerance so far on the CMI rides.

In a way, that's how I see things like community radio and independent
media centers.   By their very existence they confront certain issues  ,
but are also tools for people to pursue other ideas and efforts.  Not
everyone has to agree about these other ideas, but there has to be some
fundamental tolerance and understanding.

So the question  to me is, then, how do one or more persons go about using
CM to organize around other issues?  Is it as simple as doing
publicity?  What kind?  Is there something more?

--Paul