[CMI-CM] Critical Mass & etc

ellipse ellipse at shout.net
Fri Nov 17 18:35:44 CST 2000

While I understand that many people who ride have other issues that are
important to them, me included, if critical mass strays far afield from the
cycling related issues it will lose its raison d'etre. There are lots of
issues which directly relate to this core wherein we can all bond. I really
think that critical mass folks need to get involved in boring things like
CATS, the Campus Area Transportation Plan. Boring stuff, but it's the
intergovernmental agency which is looking at transportation issues and if
serious cyclers aren't involved, it will be, "Oh, yeah, what do we do with
the bikes?"  at the 11th hour. I am a city planner & I can tell you that in
spite of my constant whining from the inside, bicycling is indeed usually an
afterthought. Only a mass presence will help to abate that.

As for "Buy Nothing Day", whatever your thoughts on the usefullness of the
concept, I seriously believe that the timing is just dumb. That day is
guaranteed to be among the busiest shopping day of the year, so absolutely
no $ effect of the boycott will be notable. Many avid consumers will avoid
shopping that day because of the crowds. And except for not buying cars or
gas, it has nuthin' much to do with the basic issue that unites this group.

What issue? As citizens who choose to ride bikes, we are not being treated
with the respect we deserve by our fellow citizens who drive. Whether we
ride for economic, environmental, exercise, or whatever reasons, our choice
is a valid one that has many benefits on the community as a whole.

We cause less wear & tear on the streets (virtually none). We require lots
less parking to be built. No matter how sweaty we are after we ride, we
pollute less than even a Geo Metro, much less a Ford Explorer. The
construction of a bike takes lots less resources than a car. Because we get
our exercise when we ride, we can avoid clogging up gyms. No matter how
expensive our bikes are (and I'm pretty guilty on this one) it costs a lot
less than any car & the money I don't spend on a big ol' car I can spread
around to many local businesses, rather than just to car dealers &
manufacturers and big oil. (Even tho most of us have cars to use when we
need them, my 9 year old car has only 43k miles, largely because of my bike.
No need to trade in every 3 years.)

What do we ask for for all this good we do? Just a little more respect, and
the yieldng of our rightful right-of-way. Better parking, 5-6 of us can fit
into the space of 1 car. Maybe a little space in the basement at work to
store our bikes, after all fit people help reduce insurance costs &
absenteeism. Don't pass ordinances which blatantly discriminate against us
(hear me, O Urbana). Cut us some damn slack. Add on the thing of your choice
that would make your rides easier.

To these ends (and others) critical mass gathers together an amalgam of
individuals occasionally to let drivers know: We're not gonna hide, We are
gonna ride. Get used to it. (Marketing majors among us can surely come up
with a much catchier slogan) We may not have much else in common, but this
is quite a bit.