[CMI-CM] On the holiday

William Saylor wsaylor at prairienet.org
Fri Nov 17 18:31:23 CST 2000

> Thanksgiving and Christmas both celebrate consumerism.

Hm.  I had to respond to this.

My folks and I regard Thanksgiving (Day) as the single holiday left in the
year that actually isn't entirely corrupted.  Yes, it has its questionable
associations: imperialist roots, religious undertones...football...okay,
Macy's parade (easily and largely ignored)...  But, Thanksgiving remains
essentially a harvest holiday.  It is a break (that is probably more
universally honored in American society than any other holidays) to gather
with original or extended family and EAT!  If you can't have some kind of
harvest holiday, then your society is really detached from the natural
order. (I realize that's somewhat climate-centric, but even so).  So I'd
say Thanksgiving is consumptive, but not necessarily consumeristic.

The remaining days of course are an indefensible cultural abonimation.

As for Critical Mass, I have a relevant post to follow.

-Bill