[CMI-CM] Free radicals

William Saylor wsaylor at prairienet.org
Sat Nov 18 01:21:40 CST 2000

Dear activists, and other riders:

(1) Critical Mass focus

At the June(?) post-ride roundtable at The Bread Company, the discussion
brought out that (1) the single common motivation among all the
participatants was a desire to ride a bike safely in our community, and
that (2) the highest collective comfort level among the participants, and
arguably the most effective strategy for continued interest, was to leave
the Critical Mass ride as an event centrally with this end, and that if
participants were inclined to make more political actions, that they
should do so under another banner than Critical Mass, as a group (or
individual) representing whatever they do but that ALSO participates in
the Critical Mass rides.  We even discussed the mutual trust that we had
to all likely be able to honor this framework if communicating to the
press about CM.

Although we didn't talk about it, the reasoning for delineating the scope
this way is simple; the more agenda that is added, the more people that
are likely to not participate if they are not in agreement with, or even
less than avid supporters of, the rest of the agenda (or how it is then
implemented as part of CM).

I am inclined to say that one agenda, so to speak -- "Use Cars Less" -- is
fairly inherent and inextricable with the focus (a). Soon following is,
"Don't operate your car like an idiot."  But this still relates to bicycle
use.  The farther that issues get from bicycle use, the more that CM runs
the risk of attracting only the intersection of potential sets of
participants, rather than the union of the potential sets of participants.

I say this while strongly agreeing with Paul R. that the success of CM is
based on mutual tolerance of the various motivations and implementations,
and recognizing the idea that additional motivations may bring more
riders.  But in reality I think there is a point of diminishing returns
sooner than later.

(2) Riding through the Mall

First, let me say that I once helped a friend of mine ride his bike
through Esquire, at night with his tailight flashing, and not one occupant
noticed.

That aside (it wasn't a protest anyway)...why are we actually allowed to
conduct a Critical Mass Ride?  My non-scholared theory: freedom of speech,
freedom of movement (transit), freedom of assembly.  The first two
especially are in any case limited to public right-of-way and public
property, and even then within certain parameters.

For those reasons, I recommend that the CM activity stick to public
rights-of-way and public property.  And then within the reasonable
existing bounds (i.e., I'd say let's not ride through the Illini Union).
We are, after all, trying to gain people's respect!

Be aware that the parking lot of Market Place Mall is private property.
Some of the access roads there are private property as well (fairly sure
the ring road, and maybe even Marketview Drive).

In addition, I believe that we should avoid pissing off everyone _so_ much
up front that they would never begin to consider the message of CM.  As
Citizen Ellipse reminded us, CM is about asserting our rights.  And
possibly defending or advocating services.  To me, asserting rights does
not by extension mean infringing on someone else's rights, unless it can
be clearly shown that they conflict.

(3) Lights

Get lights!  If CM brings 20 riders riding in the dark and only 2 have
lights, I can readily identify 18 fools.  Well, not so readily because I
can't see them, and neither can Joe Fratboy driver navigating with his
peripheral vision because he's dialing his cell phone.  It is so important
to your own safety that you can be seen as something in the road.  In
addition, I as a CM participant would be extremely irked if CM got bad
press because the cops stopped you for not having lights (which if you
read the police blotter in the newspaper you will find that they do, which
I am going to have to assume means that they can ticket you for it too)
and someone thought that would make the fine story that it would that CM
got itself busted by being plain stupid.

I recently bought a rear red LED taillight at Champaign Cycle for $15. (Do
not leave your lights unbolted on your bike when parked outside, sigh.)
I'm pretty sure Bikeworks has some too, probably cheaper. Sadly, I find
that most standard headlights eat batteries like crazy, so the next thing
I'm going to do is buy a similar clear LED light for the front, which last
forever, so that I can always be seen, including when I don't need the
projecting headlight left on in order to see.

I feel similarly about helmets, but until/unless that's a law too, it's
not a point I choose to press myself.

(4) Attracting riders (1)

I think...no, the decentralized nature of CM is not a deterrent to
riders...yes, the primary action needed is publicity...yes, probably
flyering the week of...no, I am not available to do that...yes, I would
attend a work session to cut, hole-punch, and/or rig little flyers with
rubber bands so that they can be fastened to bikes and bike racks and not
become litter in the breeze...no, I do not want to organize such a work
session;

(5) Attracting riders (2)

One of the most aggravating things to me in my experience in checking out
organizations I might be interested in is attending one meeting and being
told, in effect, "If you want to participate, then you have to lead and
organize. And start now, because we need it really badly."  For one thing,
that's like saying: if you want to vote, you have to be a campaign
manager.  I don't perceive that as a democracy.  That's something else.
It's certainly not inviting.

I agree that people coming to ride in CM should be encouraged regularly to
help in addition to being in the ride.  I agree that CM will be more fun
and more effective in a number of ways if more people help with the
logistics and whatever.  But if you want broad-based interest, do not beat
people over the head with the lecture I am beginning to hear.  (Note, many
are not wearing helmets.)  Probably like many people, I respond to
invitations, need, and encouragement in my own time and as I eventually
learn skills and knowledge that I simply didn't arrive to the group with.

(6) Politics - activism - communication

Molly pointed out more bike-related news than I had any idea was out
there.  On the other hand, I had been following the Campus Area
Transporation Plan but somehow lost track of it.  And other things: I
thought I'd seen a drawing of the South Research Park with a bike lane
that I'm not seeing now in the newly installed landscaping there...?

So, (a) how is (or, is) information like this getting out to the public?,
(b) how is it then getting circulated among stakeholders? / is this a call
to ourselves to use this list more actively as was the idea?, (c) is it
time to form a C-U Bicyclists Coalition ("CUBIC"...B^3: bikes, buses, and
boots!...yeah, yeah...), and (d) is there already such a group in C-U?

Again, CM should not be equivalent to or be subsumed by such lobbying
group!  An opportunity to distribute info, yes.  Evolved into, no.

>How do we link a bunch of rowdy
>bike riders on some random afternoon (at first first glance) to local
>urban planning issues, new highway building, nat'l transportation
>activism, etc?

Maybe, all that said, with an information session planned after every
ride.

(7) Instant communication links to remember to tap

Sierra Club.  ISEN.  WEFT.  Cycle club.  Prairienet motd. (+The three
newspapers.)

(8) Communication links needing brewing

IMC.  Local Green Party.  Other media calendars...?
How are riders represented on the Champaign County Greenways & Trails
planning committee, or its constituents?

(9) Encouragement

Whatever you want to see or do with Critical Mass, you have to start with
getting on your bike in the street and being in the ride.  That's Critical
Mass.

In addition, Paul is right about spontaneous PR and diverse logistical
participation needed for continuity.  Heck, please reread the whole thread
in his last post again now that you've read mine.

(10) Next ride?

I am really skeptical about getting riders on Thanksgiving Friday.  I
suggest Thursday 11/30, or, eh, Friday 12/1.  (Now, I suggest that without
being in town for any of them this time, myself.)

...What do people think?

Thanks for your attention,
Bill