[CMI-CM] a fun ride and the future

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Sun Apr 1 20:07:01 CDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 05:13:45PM -0500, Jason Kwiatkowski wrote:

> as for your little trailer stage idea...wood's heavier than aluminum, but it
> can be found in scrap construction piles all over the city.  just remember,
> theft from construction sites is a punishable offense, so I'm not advocating
> it one bit.  the previous statement was merely an observation.

So long as we're making hypothetical observations, let me observe a few
ways to collect materials without putting yourself at risk of arrest
and prosecution. =)

Try asking for the scraps at a construction site. I imagine they'd just
as soon let you take scraps for free as pay money to have it hauled away.
I think that if you ask if you can salvage stuff, they will say, "No,
but ... ok."

No one will usually object if you help yourself to dumpsters. There's a
great big one behind my workplace at 115 W. Main in downtown Urbana. Last
I saw, it was full of scrap from a construction project on the 3rd
floor. I haven't paid close attention to its contents, but it could be
a boon for trailer-builders. Also, universities will throw away great
stuff, but irregularly.

See if you can find anything for cheap or for free at Twin City Recycling.
(They're north of I-74 on Lincoln Ave.) I believe they deal in scrap
metal.

Dave

--
David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933