Champaign recycling lte

soychicka mlupei at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 13 01:59:49 CDT 2001

sorry about continuously sending you these messages, but for some reason i can'
send anything to the CMI list right now - could you see if you guys might be
willing to sign on as a group?  it strikes more terror in the hearts of the
champaign city council ; )

~michelle
director, Students for Environmental Concerns

--
Hey all~

Students for Environmental Concerns has drafted a letter to the editor
about the lack of recycling in Champaign that we wish to get printed in
monday's DI.  We greatly hope that we could get your endorsement on
behalf of you or your organization for this paper tiger coalition (no
work required on your part).  Please read the letter below and respond
as soon as possible so that we can ensure its inclusion in monday's
issue.

Dear Editor,

In the city of Champaign there exists an ordinance which discriminates
against those people that live in apartments, private housing, and greek

housing, any housing with more than four units.  This ordinance greatly
restricts certain residents' ability to perform a service which is
economically and environmentally friendly.

This ordinance, Champaign's recycling ordinance allows homes of less
than four units to receive recycling with no additional cost.  However,
any other types of housing and even businesses must pay a extravagant
fee to receive recycling.  Nearly half of the residents of Champaign
cannot easily recycle.  Surveys in the past have indicated that most
would recycle if they had pick up.  The current drop off site, situated
on Prospect Ave. near K-Mart, is inconvenient for many residents,
especially those without transportation.

Recycling is a business that gives a myriad of benefits to the
community.  It provides a cycle of economic activity where there once
was a dead end.  Recycling provides jobs.  Recycling keeps our precious
resources out of landfills, a place where they will never be seen
again.  Communities all over the U.S. have proven the benefits of
curbside recycling.  Even Urbana has a rather successful recycling
program.  When will Champaign finally adopt this environmentally
friendly policy?

All students at the University are affected by this ordinance, whether
Champaign is our place of residence or the
place that we shop.  This ordinance simply isn't fair.  This ordinance
is environmentally irresponsible.  We, students and members of the
community
at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,  request that the
city of Champaign change
its recycling ordinance to include all housing regardless of size.  The
residents of Champaign have been begging for recycling.  When will the
city of Champaign start listening?

Sincerely,

Michelle R. Lupei, Director, Students for Environmental Concerns

If you have any serious concerns about the wording of any part of this
letter, please let me know as soon as possible so that it can be
changed.

thanks for your time,
~michelle