[CMI-CM] (no subject)

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 26 18:40:02 CDT 2001

Hi Julia,

I know there are two separate studies of transportation in the area.
There is the Campus Area Transportation Study, which is looking at
improving safety for pedestrians and cyclists in the campus area,
mainly between Wright and 4th Streets, and between Armory and University.

There is also a study and general planning being conducted for the future
of downtown Urbana.  Traffic, parking, and general aesthetics are being
considered, among other things.

Some participants of Critical Mass are involved in one or both studies, and
I'm sure many of us would agree that a bike path on the side of at least
every major street would be great.  It would be great to be able to convince
Urbana City Council that such paths would be beneficial.

Arun

julia christina magrethe delcomyn writes:
> I've never heard of this organization before, but I'm glad I did.  As I
> was riding my bike to campus from Urbana I was wondering why there are
> only bike paths on (some of) campus?  I find myself so tense after dodging
> traffic on Springfield Ave., and don't even get me started on Green St.
>
> It seems to me that effort would be better spent trying to raise
> awareness, and maybe even money, for a bike path on major streets.  A good
> example of this can be found in Madison WI.  Almost every street has a
> bike path on the side and they even have a wonderful paved path that runs
> diagnol through town, for such activities as biking, running, walking and
> rollerblading.
>
> Is there anything like this in the works for Urbana-Champaign?
>

> thank you,
> julia delcomyn

Arun Bhalla