[CMI-CM] why we need Critical Mass now

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 10 15:57:01 CDT 2001

I think we all know that it's tough being a bicyclist in Champaign-Urbana,
but it's also tough all over.

See this story borrowed from the Madison, WI IMC that collects some recent
horror stories nationwide:
http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/display.php3?article_id=1641
Note that Madison is touted as being very bike-friendly.  Also note that
our local police have been relatively tolerant towards Critical Mass, even
though our tactics don't differ, and the streets are not any safer for bikes.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago that died out--asking the question
"why aren't most of us participating in critical mass."  I don't mean to
revive the question, but I would like to rally everyone to this month's
Mass, on Aug. 31.  There will be lots of new drivers in town then, too
familiar with "safe" suburban streets devoid of pedestrians and bicyclists,
and too unfamiliar with mixed traffic.  The local streets will only get
safer when we work together.

--Paul