[CMI-CM] why we need Critical Mass now

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 11 16:30:01 CDT 2001

I want you to be a part of this ride, too.  We haven't even had people
suggesting routes on this list since perhaps last fall.  Someone should
do it.  Anyone.

I think the compelling argument for keeping the ride at 5:15pm
(formerly 5:00pm) is that many people are getting out of work/classes
at 5 (or 4:30), so it's a little unreasonable to expect them to stick
around until later, or even expect them to go home and come back.
I have little preference in the matter -- to an extent, later is equally
good for me, but the few times I have something to do Friday at 7, then
later is not really better for me.

If many want it later, we could do that.  It's a tricky situation, though,
since perhaps the people that would prefer a later ride time are largely
not connected/involved with Critical Mass, or maybe the numbers are small.
We don't know.

Arun

"lori serb" writes:
> I would like to be part of this ride. Can we decide on a route early (so I
> can meet up with you all when I get done with work) or can we make this ride
> a little later, say 5:45PM? If people are set on the 5:15PM/Green St. place
> and time, I understand and I will try to get out of work early that day.
>
> Lori
>

> >From: Paul Riismandel <p-riism at uiuc.edu>
> >To: critical-mass at lists.groogroo.com
> >Subject: [CMI-CM] why we need Critical Mass now
> >Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:57:21 -0500
> >
> >I think we all know that it's tough being a bicyclist in Champaign-Urbana,
> >but it's also tough all over.
> >
> >See this story borrowed from the Madison, WI IMC that collects some recent
> >horror stories nationwide:
> >http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/display.php3?article_id=1641
> >Note that Madison is touted as being very bike-friendly.  Also note that
> >our local police have been relatively tolerant towards Critical Mass, even
> >though our tactics don't differ, and the streets are not any safer for
> >bikes.
> >
> >I started a thread a couple of weeks ago that died out--asking the question
> >"why aren't most of us participating in critical mass."  I don't mean to
> >revive the question, but I would like to rally everyone to this month's
> >Mass, on Aug. 31.  There will be lots of new drivers in town then, too
> >familiar with "safe" suburban streets devoid of pedestrians and bicyclists,
> >and too unfamiliar with mixed traffic.  The local streets will only get
> >safer when we work together.
> >
> >--Paul

Arun Bhalla