[CMI-CM] Where Is Everyone?

Ellen Knutson eknutson at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:12:01 CDT 2001

Molly,

I'll add my two cents to you're two cents, which I guess means we're up to
four cents!!

At any rate I think the ride it's self in inherently political in addition to
being fun. And the bigger the group the more of statement it makes. If there
is a group of 50-100 people riding in mass, carrying signs and chanting,
making the drivers take notice of bicyclists right to road I think it is
absolutely political. Also, the monthly ride can be a sort of mobile
organizing meeting if people are interest in acting as a group to address
issues at city council or something. I think the "aversion to anything
political" as you put it is for making everyone who rides in the Mass have to
sign on to something, but if activists want to use the Mass as a group of
people to try mobilize to take action on a particular issue, I don't think it
is an issue, especially if it as done as group of concerned people who also
happen to ride in Critical Mass, and not "In the name of Critical Mass".

Also, where I am it incredibly busy as well and can't commit to anymore time
than the monthly ride. I'll just reiterate that the ride itself is political
and making a statement, AND the more people in the Mass the louder the
statement is. Also there's always been talk of trying to include small bits of
street theater in with the ride to emphasize the statement, but that
definitely requires MORE PEOPLE IN THE MASS.

And one last reminder, the Mass has done special rides in conjunction with
other environmental activities (such as Earth Day and World Car Free Day)but
for them to be truly successful they to need a Mass of people.

So there's my two cents..

Cheers,
Ellen