[CMI-CM] CMI Critical Minimum Demonstrates the Need for a Critical Mass!

Ellen Knutson eknutson at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 28 18:50:01 CDT 2001

...or South East Urbana, Land of Angry Drivers

Yesterday's ride was attended by THREE people, but the ride took place
nonetheless. The route was Green  east to Race, Race north to Main, Main
east to Vine, Vine south to Florida, Florida east to Phillo, Phillo north
to Washington, Washington west to Vine, Vine north to Main, Main west to
IMC (end of route.. because it was more convenient for the three riders to
end in downtown Urbana, than the Alma Mater).

Highlights of the Ride

*Many angry honks and shouts to get out of the street.
*A lot of illegal passing and squealing tires as they sped ahead
*On Florida one driver who drove up along side of us (straddling the line
and nearly causing two accidents) to berate us and tell us we were stupid.
We informed her that bike have a legal right to the road and she concurred,
but that we need to be in the slow lane. She had no response when we
pointed out that there was only one lane on the street so we can be in an
imaginary slow lane... She then returned to yelling just how stupid we
were. Next she pulled in front of us and commenced  to drive very slowly as
if to slow us down, this of course did not make any difference to us, but
did succeed in angering other drivers. And to cap off her demonstration of
anger, she pulled to the side of the road, got out the car standing with
hands on hips, and was sure to let us know that we were idiots in her mind.
*On Phillo another driver drove out of her way into a parking lot so she
could be closer to yell at us. I imagine that she ended up "wasting" even
more time than if she had been more patient and just stayed behind us and
waited until it was safe and legal to pass or until we were making our turn
on Washington.

While I haven't been on every ride, I have been on most, and this one
definitely wins the prize for number of angry drivers. I would guess that
part of the reason we were incurring the rath of so many drivers was at
least in part due to our small number. If we had been even just 10 riders,
there may have been some annoyance, but people may have figured that there
might be something going on that they didn't know about, especially if the
riders have signs and/or music and/or chants. OR perhaps even more crassly,
10 riders are more intimidating than 3. Two women and one guy on bikes may
just not be threatening enough whereas 10+ people on bikes might kick your
ass.

At any rate, it is this kind of mentality that cars rule the road and far
be it from an cyclist to take their rightful place as PART OF TRAFFIC if is
makes a driver take a few minutes longer to get to their destination that
Critical Mass is railing against. And even though we were only three, we
definitely made an number of people at least take NOTICE of the fact that
bike are on the road!!

Enough of this rant...

Cheers,
Ellen