[CMI-CM] Reclaim the Streets

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Fri Jun 8 00:44:01 CDT 2001

Reclaim the Streets! Summer 2001
http://www.rtstreets.org/
http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/display.php3?article_id=1073

   On July 20th, we will be reclaiming the streets of Naperville,
   Illinois in an all-day street party.

   A "Reclaim The Streets!" party is an event where people flood an
   area, block off traffic, and have an all out impromptu festival.

I think a group of CU people should go to this event. We can go as IMC
reporters, as Critical Mass liasons, as Greens, and/or as individuals
who want to have a fun time in a (reclaimed) public space with a lot
of other happy radicals.

Who is with me?

I'd like to go up using only public transportation (Amtrak to Chicago
and Metra to Naperville) or at the very least take a van. Reclaim the
Streets is a pro-pedestrian, pro-people, anti-car action/party and
it'd be a shame to show up with a caravan of cars.

Who is with me?

This is an excellent chance for us to network with cool folks up in
the suburbs and to see how a Reclaim the Streets event goes in case
anyone ever gets inspired to organize one here in Champaign-Urbana
(green street in front of the union anyone?)

Who is with me?

We can bring drums and instruments and jam out. We can do street
theater and flyering (there'll be a lot of dumbfounded pedestrians and
drivers as a captive audience). We can link the event to the G8 summit
happening at that same time. There's so many things we can do and we
can have fun.

Who is with me?