[CMI-CM] bike tire pump degradation

Prince, John M (O&M) JMPrince at oandm.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 14 08:12:01 CDT 2001

One thing I've noticed is that all hand air pumps are NOT created equal.  I
normally use a floor pump to inflate 75psi mountain tires and 110psi road
tires.  My 105 lb wife has no problem using this pump.  I also carry a
Topeak master blaster pump on my road bike.  This jewel has an appendage
that sticks out from it turning a frame pump into a floor pump (which you
can still carry on your bike).  It also is the best for air delivery into
your tires.  The mini pumps are for the most part worthless, although I do
sometimes carry a Topeak mini blaster.  Whatever, one should expect to spend
about $30 for a pump.  www.performancebike.com frequently has several on
sale, and gives a good comparison rating, but I encourage you to support our
local shops.

As for community air stations, there already is one on the south outside
wall of Champaign Cycle; 506 S Country Fair Drive.  It is available to the
public during their business hours.