[CMI-CM] Bike workshop facilitators?

Aimee Rickman arickman at prairienet.org
Thu Jun 26 09:44:01 CDT 2003

hey Critical Massers!

any female riders interested in hosting a bike repair/bike safety/proper
bicycling techniques workshop for girls and/or women for this year's
GrrrlFest Sept. 12-14 in Champaign-Urbana?  you could, of course, have
info on Critical Mass, and on biking goodness there for participants.  and
if anyone's (female or male) up for taking part in sharing skills or
helping to organize a bike tune-up benefit for our fest, we'd totally
appreciate the help. we're all volunteers, and it's a totally unfunded
non-profit community event. more info on what we are below. please drop me
a line if yer interested. we would love to have yer involvement.

thanks!  keep up the great work, y'all.

aimee
GirlZone/GrrrlFest Director
arickman at prairienet.org
grrrlfest2003 at yahoo.com
217 637 4475
www.prairienet.org/girlzone (2003 GrrrlFest site in the works here)
www.prairienet.org/girlzone/grrrlfest2002.htm (2002 'fest site)
* THROW LIKE A GIRL! *

GRRRLFEST 2003 * SEPTEMBER 12-14 * ALL OVER CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, IL *

GrrrlFest 2003 brings the community out to celebrate spaces for active
females!

Chock-full of female-taught hands-on workshops for girls and women
(like rock instrumentation, media, skateboarding, engineering, money
management, automotives, knitting...), along with discussion panels and
music showcases featuring regional and national musicians for everyone,
GrrrlFest III is set for September 12-14, 2003! This is one
action-packed, you can do it,
get-in-touch-with-skills-and-interests-you-never-knew dynamo of an event,
run by GirlZone volunteers with the help of many >community members.
Located deep in the cornfields between Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis,
and somewhere in Iowa, 2003 marks GirlZone's third big year hosting this
young, but uber inspiring, community-wide festival.

Get ready for mucho fun. To see previous years' line ups, go to
www.prairienet.org/girlzone/grrrlfest2002.htm (2002)
www.angelfire.com/indie/grrrlfest (2001)

->  *** ALSO *** GRRRLFEST 2003 WILL MARK THE END OF GIRLZONE.*** <-
Yep. We've done about all we can do with what we've got.  Come celebrate
all of the amazing work of GirlZone from the past seven years, and  get
involved in thinking about what our community can do to continue
supporting local girls' strengths once GirlZone ends in C-U (Sept. 2003)!

MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW!!  Put a BIG X through those three days. You
won't want to miss out on the chance to learn new things, hear amazing
bands and musicians, and enjoy the energy and community of the fest
days. They're so, so, SO much fun.  You'll see.

* GRRRLFEST 2003 * September 12-14 * THROW LIKE A GIRL!! *

~*~**~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*
PERFORMERS
We are now taking musician/band/spoken word submissions for GrrrlFest
howcases! Please note: While all GrrrlFest performers must have at
least one female member, and be supportive of active, interested
females, supportive male bands/musicians/spoken word artists are so
invited to take part in pre-fest GrrrlFest fundraiser shows. Send a cd or
a tape  of your stuff (sorry, can't return em), contact info, press clips
if you've got em, and a bit about yourself to:

GrrrlFest Music
c/o GirlZone
204 W. California
Urbana IL, 61801

Submissions must be in by June 30. While not one person gets paid at
GrrrlFest, musicians are encouraged to sell merch and keep all the $
to support their work.  Plus. musicians are urged to plan on staying
for some, if not all, of the fest.  You'll get in free, and you'll be
very glad you stayed. Talk to any of the performers who played and stayed
last year. It's a wonderfully warm event to be a part of. We're small
and regional, but we're also a whole lot of fun. Come play! Questions?
Email grrrlfestmusic at yahoo.com

~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*
WORKSHOP FACILITATORS
GrrrlFest III will be offering tons of female-led workshops, discussion
forums, clinics, and other active learning sessions throughout the
weekend festival for girls and also for women (workshops for girls and
women are typically held separately). If you would like to lead a
workshop or have a idea for one please email grrrlfest2003 at yahoo.com with
a proposal (outline your workshop idea and goals, a workshop title, the
ideal number and age of girls per workshop, time and space necessities
for workshop, facilitators' background and experience and philosophy on
girls and activeness/interest in the proposed workshop area, a
two-sentence "blurb" summary about the workshop, and any other details you
consider pertinent) to the attention of the GrrrlFest Workshops Commitee
by June 30! We'll be in touch.

~*~*~*~***~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~***~*~*~*~*~**
>~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~~**~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

huh?
What's the 'grrrl' part about?
Grrrl comes from the Riot Grrrl movement, where, among other things,
girls and women worked together to make space for females in mosh pits
at punk shows, which were usually filled with guys who treated girls
pretty nasty. Girls in the Riot Grrrl movement went in to the mosh pits
together with arms linked and stood their ground, saying 'We have a
right to be here too!' We know females have a right to have a place
everywhere, and to feel strong and active in the places they want to be
in. In GirlZone, girls have been finding that they can and want to be in
spaces they never imagined themselves liking or being in. GrrrlFest
is part of that space-claiming. It's also a way to involve and celebrate
the many bands, groups, organizations and individuals who think strong,
active females are worth celebrating, supporting, and nurturing. Join in!

GrrrlFest 2003 is a three year old, entirely *volunteer-run* GirlZone
she-bang.

Oh, the excitement!

aimee rickman
GirlZone & GrrrlFest Founder/Director
(also git for the Violents)
arickman at prairienet.org
grrrlfest2003 at yahoo.com
(217) 637-4475
www.prairienet.org/girlzone
(GrrrlFest 2003 web site soon to come off the GirlZone site!)
*CHALLENGE GIRLS TO CHALLENGE THEMSELVES!*
** THROW LIKE A GIRL! **