[CU-Movies] Beyond Roger Ebert's Journal - More on "Sita" and Nina Paley

Jenifer Cartwright jencart7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 21:33:01 CST 2009

THANKS for sending this, Dan! So now I've read thru all this stuff and am completely   hooked on Nina Paley's situation as an artist and (ESPECIALLY!!) her imaginative and captivating film, Sita Sings the Blues which combines (of ALL things!) songs from 1920s jazz vocalist Annette Hanshaw (say, who???) and Paley's wonderfully conceiverd, drawn and animated version of a classic Indian folk tale and it's modern-day parallels... and IT WORKS!! And no, it's nothing remotely like Hollywood meets Bollywood. In fact, it's not remotely like anything I've ever seen before. You can check out the links below, and see (hear) for yourselves... or just keep yr fingers crossed and hope that Roger Ebert really does choose this film for April 2009's Eberfest.

YouTube links for clips of Nina Paley's Sita Sings the Blues
(worth following just to hear Annette Hanshaw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5_zJ1xfQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWuokqv706M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3fa1KVU4vM&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfru1qrfac&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wAA2eVXjo

More on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sita_Sings_the_Blues

And imdb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172203/

And finally, a link to an interview w/ Urbana's own Nina Paley (and another indie filmmaker) at Tribeca 2008 Film Festival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yAL0qAK7MM&feature=related

 --Jenifer