[C-U Smokefree] Updates from the Prez

Scott P Hays sphays at ad.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 1 21:29:24 CST 2003

A few updates from the Prez:

First, don’t forget about our meeting Thursday Dec. 4 at the Pavilion at Carle, Fritz conference room. I posted a PDF version of the flyer to the listserve earlier today. Please print and post at least one somewhere today!

Second, I am still working on our Articles of Incorporation.  Based on a requirement from the Secretary of State’s Office, we have had to alter our name slightly to: “C-U Smokefree Alliance”.  I would like to put this decision up for a vote at Thursday’s meeting.

Third, Dr. Alan Cohen and his wife Anita have had unanticipated changes in their lives which have necessitated their withdrawal from our organization.  They continue to remain committed to the goals of our organization.

This leaves us without a Vice-President and Membership Director.  We also remain without a Treasurer and the Education Committee has not yet begun to function. Carol Hays has agreed to serve as chair of that Committee (we will vote to confirm at Thursday’s meeting).

I assume that it is not necessary to remind people that we are a volunteer organization driven by the power of our people.  No one (or few) of us can shoulder the responsibility of operating this organization and it is unfair to ask.  Without the power of our volunteers, this effort cannot succeed.  The more people who step up to fill official tasks, the fewer any one of us will have to do.

Well, that’s my high pressure sales pitch, I assume all of you know what needs to done and appreciate the scope and importance of our task.  Please touch base with me directly at my email address or by phone if you're ready to take your place in our organization.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott P. Hays, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
Center for Prevention Research and Development
Institute of Government and Public Affairs
University of Illinois
Champaign, Illinois  61820

email: sphays at uiuc.edu
phone: 217.244.2616